I shouldn’t be surprised that creating knitting patterns takes lots of drafting, reflecting, revising and re-drafting since I teach English; however, I had no idea this pattern would take 6 drafts for 1 final version. Check ’em out:
Draft 1 is a good start. It just looks more like a cross than I hoped, so I kept knitting.
Looking back on it, I like draft 2 a little less than draft 1, but it’s getting closer to my vision of having a rounded “four-leaf clover” look.
In fact, I should show you the inspiration. I took these pictures of the ceiling of the Ensenberger in downtown Bloomington, Ilinois.
Onto drafts 3 and 4 where I tried to keep the roundness but ended up with uneven widths of each clover leaf.
Draft 5 is so close that I forgot what I was dissatisfied with. Maybe it was the wider cloverleaves on the right and left.
I am finally satisfied with draft 6.* This orange cloth is the finished version of this washcloth pattern! Woot!
*I’ve had it test knit on Ravely and will be selling the pattern soon.
Like with writing, I first made larger changes to the pattern and moved onto smaller changes.
The pattern is truly never-ending, though since I have some smaller cloverleaf versions and intarsia versions started.